Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
UK Hyundai Accent Club

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Car show camping survival guide (Read 1761 times)
Soul
UKHAC Admin

UKHAC Webmaster / Admin

Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Right, with the show season coming up fast I thought it was a good idea to give you a quick rundown on what is best to take with you to a show if you are camping.  "Veterans" of car show camping will probably not need to read this - but feel free to have a quick scan through just in case I miss any vital points (like alcohol) Roll Eyes

EQUIPMENT:

Well duh, I know some of this may seem obvious, but I'd still advise printing this out and ticking everything as you load your car.  Nothing worse than leaving something essential behind Roll Eyes.  Please note - anything marked with a * is not essential, but reccommended if you can fit it in Wink

- Tent - If you havn't got one, go for one that is one person bigger than you are taking at least.  Otherwise you'll have to leave all your junk in the car overnight and things get cramped whilst getting dressed in the morning Roll Eyes
- Air Bed - ok, you can use a roll-mat instead, but an airbed is just as cheap, and more comfortable Wink
- Air Pump - some car tyre inflators come with adaptors to inflate air beds ... for the rest of us a good old cheap foot pump will do.
- *Rubber Mallet - Without this putting up your tent can be a bit more difficult, but not impossible.
- Sleeping bag - you can get away with blankets, but it can get cold overnight.  Save your teeth chattering to pieces with a nice warm one.  Summer sleeping bags are ok and cheap, winter ones (rated down to 0 to 5 degrees Celcius) will be perfect - you can always unzip them to cool yourself if you get too hot Wink
- *Pillow - Some air-beds come with them built in - but they can be a bit cold.  A quick, cheap alternate is stuffing a fleece jumper / jacket inside the sleeping bag's stuff sack. Or you could just bring a pillow from home.
- Torch or Lamp - both would be ideal, but a torch is essential, especially for tackling those dodgy camp toilets.

FOOD:

Feeding time!!!! ... ahem  Roll Eyes ... Everyone's gotta eat - and although there are normally a variety of food stalls at shows (some of which are open from about 7am for breakfast) - not everyone want's to eat their food ALL day.  Food can also be quite expensive at some of the stalls with Beef Burgers going for around the £4 mark.  It's a lot more fun if we all get back together in the campsite in the evening and cook (or incinerate) some food whilst surrounded by the rest of us who are trying to do the same.

One of the most popular and cheapest choices is disposable BBQ's - fun to cook on and good enough to cook enough stuff to feed two people.  Popular choices in the past have been burgers, bacon, sausages, lamb chops, steaks and ... errr ... mixed veg Huh

If you plan on bringing any meat - then get either a small cooler box / bag - and an ice pack.  put everything in the bag frozen or chilled when you leave home, and you should be able to incinerate ... errr ... I mean cook it on your BBQ without it giving you a funny tummy for the next 48 hours.

Don't forget bread or bun's if you're planning on making burgers or steak sandwiches (yum! Tongue)

MONEY:

Cash - bring a lot.  I would reccomend a mimimum of £50 per person for a weekend - and even then you might struggle a bit. Personally I take £100 in cash.  It's enough to see you over the weekend with some cash to spare (trust me - you'll spend loads on just food and drink) ... and you'll need spare cash for all the deals going on the trade stands on Sunday afternoon Wink

CLOTHES:

We all need clothes - we don't want people thinking we have got a naturist car club going on Roll Eyes.  Even if the weather is nice, bring a set of warm clothes.  If it looks like rain and you are going to be wearing jeans, make sure you have something that's not denim and warm-ish (like tracksuit bottoms or combats) otherwise you'll get wet and cold if it rains / the weather get's cold (also you'll probably want to wear warm clothes inside your sleeping bag if it get's too cold).

WASH KIT:

Well obviously you are going to need the usual soap and towel, but some shows have showers, so you can have a good wash if you really want to.  Deoderant is also a must ... as for most of us we'll be applying about a weeks worth on saturday / sunday (depending on what we get upto on friday / saturday night Wink ).

The biggest thing I would advise on is BUY SOME BABY WIPES - they are great for a quick clean up, they are cheap, and they have multiple uses.

Continue'd in the next post...
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2010 at 9:49pm by Soul »  

Links:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Soul
UKHAC Admin

UKHAC Webmaster / Admin

Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:36pm

TOILET KIT:

This is probably the most important piece of kit for surviving a car show whilst camping.  Now, some of the info below may sound a bit picky or a little too personal, but trust me - camp toilets are not that nice.  This guide is aimed at making them a little easier for guys and girls to deal with - as generally there are no Male or Female toilets at car shows (because even if there are, the p*ssed up Chavs will use the girls toilets whenever they can ... probably thinking they can pull while they are at it!).

Yeah I know - a toilet kit Roll Eyes ... trust me you'll need one.   Most camps have nasty portaloo's which your fellow campers would have had trouble aiming at (yeah I know - not exactly nice ... but you're camping so it's time to rough it and sit in some pi............ ok, perhaps not - so read on...) Grin

So for your toilet kit - get a small (and cheap) rucksack and a hook on lamp / light of some kind (or a strap-on head torch), as at night the toilets generally are not lit.  In the bag put a toilet roll and a pack of baby wipes.

When you enter the toilet, with your rucksack on the inside, hook one of the shoulder straps over the outer top corner of the door and then close it (or if there's a hook on the inside somewhere, use that) - this'll keep your bag off of the floor (you REALLY don't want anything to touch the floor, trust me!).  Just make sure that whatever it is that your'e doing in there, that you can reack the contents of the bag (so you might have to set the straps to full length so the bag hangs lower if necessary). 

Before you leave the loo - hold your bag before you open the door - sometimes it can just fall off and land in whatever is on the floor (which you really don't want to have to worry about), or it will definitely fall off as someone might have cut the strap that was on the outside of the door "For a laff init!" (chavs!).

Keeping your clothes "clean" inside the portaloo...

For the Guys: If you gotta pee - make sure you can see, then point and shoot Roll Eyes (otherwise you could find that you have wet shoes / trainers when you leave!) Grin

For the Guys and Girls: If you've gotta sit down, firstly give the seat a good wiping with baby wipes and down the front of the toilet seat - don't be afraid to use several wipes to do this.  There should be a bin of some kind inside to dump the wipes into (normally for the "Hand Towels" that are funnely enough, never there!) - or just drop them in the loo as they should flush through if you only used one or two (make sure they're scrunched up though!).

When dropping you trousers or skirt (remember to shave your legs if you're wearing a skirt guys! Grin ), make sure you keep your feet apart enough so that is stops your clothes touching the floor.  If you are wearing baggy trousers that drag along the floor, you'll really want to roll them up at the bottom before entering the loo - just don't forget to unroll them after leaving Roll Eyes

Then squeeze and strain and have a cr....... or a pi....... ok ... I think you get that part Roll Eyes Grin

When finished, I would aim to use the baby-wipes and / or toilet roll as necessary for the clean-up as genarally, even the sink in the portaloo and it's taps has probably been "hit" by someone. Undecided

Camera

Trust me, you'll want to take a camera with you ... Not just for all the amazing car's you'll see, but those weird and wacky moments with other club members at the evening entertainment, or back at the tents later on.  Just make sure your batteries are fully charged (and you have spares if possible) and your memory card is empty (and you have spare ones to hand if needs be).

As an amateur photographer, I would advise you take at least two pictures of a subject you really like (as you can garantee that the shot of something amazing on your camera, when transferred to your computer will have come out blurred if you only took one picture of it - at least with digital pictures you can delete the worst ones).

As for models wandering about, don't be afraid to ask them to pose on your car or just pose for/with you - they'll normally know what to do for the best shots ... they are professionals Wink

To Finalise...

Basically, I know through this guide you may have thought "Why should I go to a car show and camp out?" ... well please remember that I've only given you advice on the BAD points of camping - mainly aimed at those that are new to it all.  These "Bad" points have been learn't by many people over multiple shows and I've summarised them in order to prepare you for the worst, so you can enjoy the best of the shows.

At the end of the day, car show's have always been really good fun for me and other club members of the UKHAC and UKHCC that I've attended with in the past have always got on well and had a really good time - even if we'd never met before the show. Cool
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:37pm by Soul »  

Links:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
  « Home ‹ Board Top of this page